Founded in 1917, the Duxbury Art Association is one of the oldest arts organizations in the country. The organization has attracted and nurtured some of America’s greatest artists including DAA founders, Charles Bittenger, John Singer Sargent, and Frank Benson. The Duxbury Art Association’s home is at The Ellison Center for the Arts, 64 St. George Street, Duxbury, the former Holy Family Church. The building underwent a total renovation in l996 to provide studio, gallery and office space for the DAA and South Shore Conservatory. A capital campaign raised $3.5 million to complete the renovation and addition to the building. Truly a “center for the arts,” students come to The Ellison Center for instruction, exhibitions and performances in the visual arts, music, dance and dramatic arts.